Thursday, March 28, 2013

CLC, CLE, CLEC, IBCLC....OMG!! What does it all mean?




Let's face it, when you are sitting in your hospital room with a crying, screaming baby and nipple soreness you really don't care who it is who helps, you just want help! It could be from a mom, a dad (who really just wants to fix things), an auntie, a grandma, a friend, a nurse, a doctor, or someone in the lactation field.


If that kind person who helps you in the hospital or in your home is someone in the lactation field it is important that you stare strong and hard at their badge and their bio and find out what their initials are after their name. These initials are not random and like RN, MD, and APN they mean something quite significant in terms of their scope of practice, education background, and standard of practice.

Lactation Field Defined:

CLC: Certified Lactation Counselor
CLE: Certificated Lactation Educator
CLEC: Cerificated Lactation Educator Counselor

IBCLC: Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant

What is behind the letters?

CLC, CLE, CLEC:
These courses are NOT Board Certified nor are the Advanced Practice Certifications.

CLC: This is a 5 day class. 45 contact hours for CE provided, from flyer looks like 40-45 hours of classroom instruction, no clinical hours, no attendance at breastfeeding class. From the organization that presents CLC it is important to know that they state, "The CLC certification carries no regulatory authority for licensure. All participants should seek information about how this competency verification certification relates to employment in their community." Taken from webiste: http://www.healthychildren.cc/PDFs/4PageFlyer_2013.pdf

It is also important to note that it also states " The Certified Lactation Counselor® Exam is administered by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP)" which is a division of Healthy Children Project, Inc. which is the presenter of the CLC and defines the CLC. Here is their pamphlet from 2010: http://www.talpp.org/CLC_Candidate_Handbook_2010S.pdf

CLE: 20 hours instruction time; 4 hours clinicals; Info can be found at: CAPPA; There are also course offerred as 45 CEUs (45 hours) through organizations such as this with no clinical component much like the CLC above. BASTYR Education

CLEC: 45 CEUS offered as: 45-60 hours instruction time; 4 hours clinicals; Info can be found at UCSD Lactation Program


IBCLC, RLC:
These are all Board Certified and Advanced Practice Certifications

IBCLC (often represented as RLC on hospital badge): This is an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant.  Your IBCLC can be an RN, MD, OT, Speech Therapist, Dietician, RT, LPN, La Leche League Leader, or just an interested breastfeeding supporter. Their practice as an IBCLC will be greatly influenced by their other experiences, knowledge, and certifications. Which ever path leads one to be an IBCLC, remember they are an Advanced Practice Clinician and are Board Certified in lactation.

Just like your RN, LPN, RT, or MD passed an exam and stringent qualifications that included schooling and clinical experience, so too did your IBCLC! This person's scope of practice, practice, and licensure is maintained by IBLCE (International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners) . This person has a license number that you can verify here: http://americas.iblce.org/ibclc-registry.  IBCLC is defined in this document: http://americas.iblce.org/what-is-an-ibclc. Pathways that your IBCLC followed to qualify to take the examination can be found here: Pathways to Becoming an IBCLC and a great video to watch to learn more can be found here: How to Become a Lactation Consultant  .

IBCLCs, like MDs and other healthcare professionals can apply for an NPI (national patient identifier) so that they may join a panel of health professionals and receive payment for services through health insurance.

To complicate matters further:
Now to complicate things further some programs have added more letters to the IBCLC and have intertwined CLC and IBCLC. For instance the use of ANL and ANLC. Over the past few years there has been a fair amount of controversy surrounding CLCs calling themselves consultants and making their practice equivalent to that of an IBCLC. In these courses this melding of the two is done so that an IBCLC and a CLC  can come out with ANL or ANLC at the end of their name.Healthy Children defends their argument in this document: IBCLC and CLC equal? For commentary on this debate you can turn to some fabulous blogs: Public Health Doula ; Anthro Doula ; Lactation Laura

UGH!! Like you weren't already confused, right?

Personally, I just find the creation of this mess of letters by Healthy Children is just one more way to confuse the issue and complicate the pathway for a mom in pain and desperation to find the correct assistance for her breastfeeding challenges.  As you can see from the basic qualifications required for each certification no matter what you put after your name if it is not IBCLC or RLC then you may be interacting with a professional who has had far less exposure and education on the abnormal and incredibly complex issues that can arise when breastfeeding takes a wrong turn. The definitions are also well stated and laid out in this article: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art63829.asp.

In the end it comes down to two things. 1. Those of us in the lactation field CORRECTLY representing ourselves and making sure a mom (and we) understands out scope of practice. 2. Moms, dads, partners, aunties, friends, sisters, and those who want to help taking the extra few seconds to ask what a persons qualifications are and quickly checking for an IBCLC certification verification online just as you would for any MD visit. (It's just that important!)




7 comments:

  1. You are right about the terms and titles being confused. And I absolutely understand an IBCLC not wanting to be confused with the someone with less expertise. I was a teacher before I had my daughter, and I wouldn't appreciate a substitute passing themselves off as a teacher...it's two completely different jobs.

    That being said, can you help me with a few clarifications/questions? I would like to work with breastfeeding mothers and children, but I can't commit to the IBCLC pathway. Where can I find information about which (lesser) title I should pursue to help me with this goal? I've read that to be employed in a hospital, doctor's office, or to own your own consulting business, you need to be an IBCLC (or work under the license of an IBCLC), but is there anything I can do as a CLC, CLE, or CLEC? I've already found some extremely useful info on this blog, so I'd love to hear any other thoughts or suggestions you have. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fyi, a CLC can be a dietician, nurse, nurse practitioner, doctor, etc just like an IBCLC... I am an RN and APRN and went the CLC route because I am using the class as a stepping stone toward IBCLC, it counts as the first 45 hours of the 90 hours of education required to get my IBCLC. I am getting my hours through the counseling I do at my job.

    The (large) CLC class I was in consisted of RNs, LPNs, RDs, and only 1 lay person. I do not pretend to be an IBCLC and never misrepresent myself, I always introduce myself as a "pediatric nurse practitioner and certified lactation COUNSELOR". I believe that those who misrepresent themselves by calling themselves consultants probably don't realize they are doing so. I have a coworker who also is a CLC who has "lactation consultant" on her business card and when I pointed out that she isn't a consultant, she was incredibly embarrassed and upset that she had made such a faux pas.

    I think that it is very confusing and frustrating for both lay people and providers that there are so many different types of "certification" but what's even more confusing and upsetting is that I have met several IBCLCs who, according to their education and experience (and what you say here), are supposed to be the "best" professional for the job but they give really terrible, bad, incorrect information to mommies. Not all IBCLCs are created equal, that's for sure. So when it comes to choosing a lactation professional I think it's important for people to look not at what the person's credentials are, but at what their experience is, talk to other mothers that have used the professional, and go with who they trust the most.


    PS, how is the ALPP giving the CLC exam any different than the IBCLE giving the IBCLC exam? Just curious about your opinion on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about the acronyms and certifications, but I will take my old WIC breastfeeding peer counselor over another IBCLC any day. She worked for years under a fantastic IBCLC. When I moved away I had my third child who was tearing me up. The IBCLC in my new town tried to tell me it was because my 2 day old baby was a snacker. I knew she was crazy and was wishing there was a way to get her certification revoked. I drove the hour and half back to my old town where the breastfeeding peer counselor took one look at her when I walked in the room and told me she had chronic tongue thrust. She gave me a SNS tube to feed her while holding her tongue down with my thumb every feeding for 2 weeks. Near the end of 2 weeks her tongue changed just like she said it would and I was able to nurse for over 2 years with no problems. The certifications are nice, but they don't mean anything if you don't have common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Karen! I am a CLC and LPN and just because I haven't yet completed my ibclc doesn't mean I'm not dependable and qualified to support and inform moms .. CLCs are sometimes overlooked as valuable resources as are peer counselors.. Another article with biased info that narrow moms resources because of blind faith in titles ..

    ReplyDelete